Tuesday 27 September 2016

I Won't Reply Tinubu Now, Oyegun Says

THE All Progressives Congress, APC,  National Chairman, Chief John Odigie Oyegun has said he will not reply the allegations raised against him by the party’s National Leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu against him now.

Oyegun who acknowleged that Asiwaju remained the most respected leader of APC said he was more preoccupied with the coming governorship election in Edo state, and hence would not like to lose focus in the process.

Oyegun told newsmen in Benin, the Edo State capital that he cannot be seen joining issues with Asiwaju Tinubu whom he described as a respected leader of the APC.

Besides, he said the Edo State gubernatorial poll remains utmost priority at the moment even as he denied most of the things said about his person in the media.

Oyegun, however, stated that he needed to consult with other key leaders of the ruling party before he could say anything on the contentious matter that compelled the former Lagos State governor to explode in some of the national dailies Monday.

 According to him: “Asiwaju is well respected leader of our party so I cannot be seen speaking evil against him. I have to consult properly with other leaders of the party before we make any definite statement. Again, you know we have a crucial election here in Edo which is my priority right now.”

He added: “We don’t want to lose focus and I know Asiwaju also wants us to win because we all have worked hard for this. So may be after the election if there is need I will speak if no need I will relax.

 “But all I can say now is that most of the things said in the papers about me are not true. I have always believed in internal democracy, that the credibility of primaries must be taken seriously.”

Oyegun Must Go - Timi Frank

Supporting an earlier statement by a former Governor of Lagos State, Bola Tinubu, the Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress, Timi Frank, has issued a 14-day notice to John Oyegun, the chairman of the party, to resign.

Mr. Frank said Mr. Tinubu’s explosive statement Sunday night corroborated earlier grievances he had raised against Mr. Oyegun.

He said Mr. Tinubu’s statement also gave him another launch pad to demand the chairman’s ouster.

“The founding father of our party, the national leader of our party has concurred to my earlier call that Oyegun should resign as the national chairman. That should let you know that I foresaw what they didn’t see,” Mr. Frank said, adding that “I am giving Oyegun 14 days from today to convene a NEC meeting to do so.

“I have started mobilising NEC members to ensure that the APC leadership is made to do the right thing and summon a NEC meeting.”

Mr. Frank said Mr. Oyegun had allegedly failed to show leadership in every crisis the party has faced since its formation three years ago.

“As far as I am aware, APC under Oyegun has not been able to resolve one crisis in this party.

“Today now it is Tinubu that is shouting, I can bet you, more leaders will still speak out but if we don’t do anything to for this man to go.

“So, I want to throw my weight behind the call by Tinubu for the national chairman to resign because it has been my earlier position and I still stand by it,” Mr. Frank said.

Mr. Tinubu had cited alleged betrayal of trust and manipulation of Ondo State APC primary results as grounds for demanding Mr. Oyegun’s resignation.


No comments:

Post a Comment